Tuesday 15 September 2009

Summer holiday – Part I

The partners had fantastic 3 weeks of holidays in July and travelled to various destinations. Aude, however, didn't have any time to relax and spent her summer time at a place most of us have only seen from the outside.
---

- Aude Tavernier


After 6 months of sitting down on my chair as a student at EPFL from 8:30 to 16:30 and being a good mother for Alicia from 16:30 to 20:30, I expected holidays.

As my daily schedule was not full enough we launched a second pregnancy .


When the vacation time arrived, 2 choices were offered to me: an internship at CHUV in Supply Chain Department or 6 months of waking up at 9 : 30 am, cooking and taking care of my dear family.

I decided without hesitation to validate my executive master through this internship and ensure me to find a job in 2010.


After 2 days at my sister in law's wedding, Benoit and Alicia stayed in France to have the rest they deserved, enjoyed the sun and saw all friends we missed during the first 6 months and I came back to Lausanne to wake up every morning at 5 : 30 am with the " crappy" alarm which reminded me every morning that it will be interesting and I will earn the income we missed also during the first 6 months (and the first and last opportunity to earn more than my husband for 5 months : - )).

Work at CHUV is really interesting but also a terrific experience. My job within Supply Chain Department is to analyse the flow of materials and commodities, customers, quantities ... and know all issues and suggest improvements and recommendations. Commodities is quite wide, from wastes (from food to needles..) to sterilized tools, deceased person, all pharmaceutical products and so on.




The 1st week will remain in my mind for a long time: I went to 2 morgues (which is not the best area to have fun but we are in a hospital!), to the floor for drug-addicts to carry substitutes for heroin (to be honnest, I didn't feel comfortable with those guys with tattoos and piercings on their faces) but the worst for me was when I visited the sterilization centre and the guy showed me all tools for birth (to cut, to help the baby come outside or to stitch up the mother) ... my stomach was close to my lips !!!

After 2 weeks, Benoit and Alicia came back home. I was happy to have a rest but also understood how good it is to have a family, I missed nappies and cries. Nevertheless, I think it is really good for parents and children to be separate some times to appreciate the time we spend together.


I now know all the organization well and go to work later in the morning (between 7:30 and 8:00) to have breakfast with my family. As Benoit has every weekend free, we increase our social life, we go every weekend to new places in Switzerland and every weekend is for me like a really good vacation, which in fact I often spend with some of you partners.

Nevertheless, in November I will start long long holidays of 4 months minimum! Even if it will be difficult to wake up every night , change nappies every hour and stand cries of 2 babies the whole day, I won't have stress of the "crappy" alarm every morning, goals to reach at work and have a rest of 10 minutes per day (when I'm in the bathroom !!! )


I hope your holidays were good and you enjoyed the time spent with your family as I enjoy mine.


Cheers and Hugs


Aude

0 comments:

Post a Comment